You may have heard that texting while driving is not a good idea. That’s because it falls under the category of “distracted driving,” which is by far the number one cause of all traffic accidents. Distracted driving includes eating at the wheel, using the phone, singing, or even chatting with passengers.
More than just tell you not to do these things, we’ll share some tips that might help you reduce your distractions, thereby increasing your safety and that of everyone riding along.
- Store loose gear. Secure objects that could roll around in the car. You won’t have to reach for them while driving if you just do it before.
- Finish preparations at home. Personal grooming should be done outside of the car. Plus, your hair will get messed up anyway if you crash into another car.
- Put aside electronics. No matter how tempting, put away your phone or other distracting device. Texting while driving is six times more dangerous than driving drunk.
- Make adjustments before leaving. Need to adjust the seatbelt or move the seat? Maybe change the tilt of the mirrors? Do all of these things before you start to pull out of the driveway.
- Pull over. In general, any activity that demands your attention to leave the road is a dangerous one. If something truly cannot wait, just pull over and do what you need to do—safely!
Let us know if any of these tips helped you at JMK BMW!